How to master the acknowledgment page like a pro.
I recently had this very discussion with another writer. So, I was so excited to read a couple of good articles, Who Are You Going to Acknowledge in Your Book? By Judith Briles and Write Your Book Acknowledgments (Without Stressing Over It)By Tucker Max that gives us a good guideline.
What I learned from their articles:
- Don’t get sloppy. People are going to read this page too.
- Make a list before you start. Hopefully, this will prevent you from forgetting someone.
- Important first and be specific as to why you are acknowledging them. What did they do to help you?
- There is a difference in a dedication page and an acknowledgment page.
- Dedication is short and sweet, usually mentions one or few people. And placed at the front of the book.
- Acknowledgment is for everyone who helped you get to the end and is at the back of the book. You can mention, friends, family, beta readers, and all of the professionals that contributed to your book. Like designers, writing groups, even you’re babysitter. If you are grateful to someone for their help, add them here.
- Be sincere, your readers can spot fake. But don’t go on and on either.
- Unlike the dedication, the acknowledgment section can be as long as you need it to be. You need to find the between style and long-windedness.
- However, if you don’t want to list each and every person, for fear of missing someone or not getting it right, you can do a blanket thank all type of acknowledgment. The choice is yours.
- With both the Dedication Page and the Acknowledgment Page, make it personal. Make it readable and let your thankfulness shine through.
My two cents:
- Unless you are certain they wouldn’t mind. Ask. Ask before you print someone’s name in your book. Even on the acknowledgment page. Better safe than sorry. Plus I think it’s considerate to ask permission.
- Also, the Acknowledgment Page is optional, not mandatory. However, remember someone helped you finish and publish that book. Say thanks.
Click and read this important post to get it right.
Do you have an additional tip?
Who did you add to the acknowledgment page of your book?
Who do you think should be acknowledged?
PLEASE TAKE ANOTHER MINUTE AND LOOK ME UP ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY CLICKING ON THE LINKS BELOW.