Is your genre one of the top percenters?
I hadn’t given this much thought, until reading a great article on Medium by Erica Verrillo from the Writing Cooperative. And boy howdy, the stats were eye-opening. Erica gives stats on most popular genres with readers, agents and includes which genres make the most money.
What surprised me most?
Most books sold by genre…
- #1 – Children’s Fiction sells more than three times the number of adult books.
- #2 – Adult General Fiction came is second in sales.
Agents most requested genre…
- First Choice of Agents is NOT Children’s books, although these books are number one in sales.#1 – Request by agents is YA Fiction.
- #10 – Last on the lists for Agent request is Women’s Fiction. I’d expected this to be higher.
- Agents work on commission of 15%.
The genre that makes the most money…
- #1 – Dollar maker is Romance and Erotica, this includes self-published romance.
- #2 – Crime and Mystery novels
- #3 – Inspirational and Religious books, (go figure.) This includes self-help books.
- #4 – Fantasy and Science Fiction
Click and read Erica’s article to discover all the nitty-gritty details.
What are the most popular literary genres? By Erica Verrillo
Where did your genre fall?
Will any of these stats change your approach to writing?
INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW. Talk to me IN THE COMMENTS.
And take a minute to follow me on social media, just click on the buttons below. I’ll leave a light on.