Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays!
Feeling a bit stuffed? Now you need to write and write lots of words.
Yes, it’s fun to relax and be with family, but now it’s time to get back on the horse and ride that WIP (work in progress) to the finish line. Or at least around the bend.
Love, love those Amazon Black Friday deals too!
But, now that you’ve finished your Black Friday shopping…
How about a few tips to increase your word count?
Then check out a post by Janice Hardy (link below). She gives us 3 ways to get the job done faster.
What I liked about her tips…
- Take a few minutes and make a list for each scene or chapter.
- I’m a big list maker. This works better for me than outlines. Listing everything I want to accomplish in a scene gets my mind ticking and my fingers typing. Love this idea.
- Write a quick summary of what the POV character wants, and is trying to do.
- I took a different approach with this tip. I looked at my list and made a quick (2-5 sentences) summary of each item.
- Remind yourself why a scene is important. Janice suggests you finish the sentence, I want to write this scene because…
- Readers need to know is not a good reason. I liked this tip because it can avoid info dumps and bore the reader to death.
Get inspired, click on the link below and read Janice Hardy’s entire post.
After you read her tips, which ones do you think will help you?
Do you have any tips to help me increase my word count?
Do you worry about word count?
3 Ways to Boost Your Word Count Every Writing Session by Janice Hardy
I HOPE YOU’LL TAKE A MINUTE TO FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA, JUST CLICK ON THE BUTTONS BELOW. I’LL LEAVE A LIGHT ON.
One thought on “Do you need to increase your word count?”
Reblogged this on Author Don Massenzio and commented:
Check out these tips on boosting your word count via this post on Jean’s Writing Blog
LikeLiked by 1 person