Are you Timid, Nervous or Couragous?

I’ll admit, I fall somewhere between Timid Tammy and Nervous Nell.

For a positive, happy person, blowing my own horn is not easy. I don’t like to ask for help or favors. I’m a terrible salesperson. I believe in me, but  the idea that others might find value in what I’ve accomplished sounds a bit far-fetched.

Hiding behind a computer screen is a lot easier than speaking face-to-face with a group of strangers. I fumble with “the ask.”

I even found it difficult to help my daughter sell her Girl Scout Cookies. Now that’s just plain pitiful. I mean, who can’t sell GS cookies. Everyone loves them. But I ended up buying more than we sold. Of course loving the Peanutbutter patties helped.

I wonder, do all authors get a case of the jitters when it comes to selling their work?

Surely, I’m not the only writer out there who fears rejection. Maybe I’m not the only one who relates to the Lion in Oz.

I’m curious. Let me know where and how did you market your book?

Did you go to a local bookstore? Library? Call all your friends and relatives?

Spatter Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or other social media sites?

What was your experience? Are you a good salesperson?

I found this article very encouraging, I hope you do too.

Opinion: Asking Takes Courage posted on ALLI November 16, 2015 by 

 

Talk to me in the comments and please remember to check me out at my @jeancogdell on Twitter and jean.cogdell on Facebook!

And don’t forget, pay it forward with a click and share this post with your Twitter peeps and Facebook fans.

 

8 thoughts on “Are you Timid, Nervous or Couragous?

  1. Out of the 500+ authors I’ve dealt with on my blog, only about 5% actually seem to enjoy actively promoting themselves and their books – the other 95% hide until dragged out from hiding (I mean ENCOURAGED) to talk about themselves and their books Jean 😃

    Liked by 1 person

  2. I think if I ever get to that part, I’m just going to throw my books at random people as I ask them to please read it before running for the hills to hide! Ha ha! I am such a shy, timid person and the thought of doing anything promotional makes my stomach churn.

    Liked by 1 person

  3. I think the first time I sold a book that wasn’t to someone I knew was the third most exciting thing in my life, after my wedding and graduation. The thought that someone was actually willing to pay money to own something I’d written just blew me away. And it still gives me a thrill now. I don’t check sales figures all that often, unless it’s just after I’ve self-published sow thing new, but when the royalty payments come in, I do have a look then to see what sold. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to give up the day job, which is no hardship as I love what I do. I try and follow the adage of making no more than 10% of my tweets self promotion ones.

    Liked by 1 person

Let's talk! All comments are welcome.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s