I wish I knew.
Thank God for grammar programs and Beta readers. Because I make mistakes every time I write, and lots of them. Maybe all the social media short hand is to blame, or maybe the slang we fall back on. But I do know for me grammar is hard work.
A recent post by Christina DesMarais on the 43 Embarrassing Grammar Mistakes Even Smart People Make is terrific. So I thought I’d it share with you guys because I can’t be the only writer who struggles with grammar. Except for maybe my daughter and my sister. They are two grammar nerds that are always nipping at my writing, the little know-it-all.
What I like most is Christina picks words and phrases that even seasoned writers often get wrong. I’ve seen a few of these in books by well-known writers. Uh, no I’m not going to name names.
Even though we may use some of these words and phrases in everyday conversations, it most certainly does not make them correct. Here are a few of my favorites.
- Number 1, can’t wait to share with a clerk. LOL
- Okay, guilty of using Number 3 in conversation.
- Number 7, it’s been misused a lot lately.
- I love Number 20, take that, adverb haters.
- Well, do tell. Number 22. How about from bad to worse?
- When I read Number 24, I chuckled.
- What Southerner hasn’t used Number 25 wrong? LOL
- Number 36, kids love this word and use it a lot.
- Number 38 was new to me, love learning something new.
Read Christina’s article and tell me which ones jumped out at you.
Do you think social media has hurt grammar?
Any additional reminders to help us?
Do you have any grammar pet-peeves? Do share!
Laugh as you learn grammar tips from this video.
Talk to me, I love reading your comments.
Please head over and “like” my Facebook page at Facebook at jeanswriting . Or to connect with me, click the “write me” tab. Don’t forget you can follow me on StumbleUpon, on Twitter @jeancogdell , and Amazon.com.
Please stop by and say “hey!” I’ll leave a light on.