What does your “about” page tell your readers?
I’m terrible at writing a bio. And it seems every publication, website or blurb wants one a little different. I probably have at least 10 or more saved to “adjust” for the next one.
Too many times, my bio reads like dry toast. All crunchy, tasteless and bland. However, I do try to smear on a little honey or jam to make it more palatable.
Today I read a post about writing bios that made me smile.
I’m not sure I would apply this for a professional bio but it did give me pause. The author is reminding us not to take ourselves too seriously and to let our readers get to know us. After all, no one wants to be friends with dry toast.
But I do think her suggestion goes a long way on an about page or post. So in the spirit of getting to know each other better here goes.
- I couldn’t run a mile if my life depended on it. I hate exercise. The bad guy would get me for sure.
- I love country music. Texas Two Step is in my blood. And whoever said “dancing was foreplay,” knew what they were talking about.
- I love a good book but couldn’t tell you which genre is my favorite. However, if I want to fall asleep fast, non-fiction will do the job.
- I love bubble baths but rarely take the time to enjoy one. Showers are faster.
- My husband is my biggest fan and even after 5 decades that man can turn me on with a look. And Lord help me if he gets close enough to kiss my neck.
- I’m a writer. Never thought I’d write children’s books, but surprise!
- The more I learn about writing and blogging, the little I know. Sometimes I feel real dumb.
- I grew up in the South and learned to never discuss politics with friends, but this year it’s been hard to keep my mouth shut.
- I enjoy a good dirty martini or a cold Miller Lite, depends on my mood.
So there you have it. A bit of my heart and soul revealed to you. Nothing about me being an amazing writer or the failure of “Big Publishers” to pick up on my genius. No just a little glimpse of me.
If you’d like to read the post that prompted me to share, the link is at the bottom.
Now it’s your turn.
Give one tidbit about yourself in the comments.