Happens to me more than I’d like to admit!
I’ve found a tool to help!
I’m on a roll, typing like a maniac.
Until I stumble over a word.
My writing comes to a screeching halt. A word isn’t right. But I don’t want to stop my progress. After all, I’m a writing maniac. So I use a placeholder, I’ll come back to this section later and figure out the right word or words to convey my thoughts.
However, I’ve now got an itch I can’t scratch. That thought, that missing word or phase will not leave me alone.
Ever happen to you?
My protagonist whispers he can’t work like this, it’s too unprofessional.
Sigh, okay, I cave, save what little progress I’ve made and return to my placeholder. So I…
- Think, think, think, I’ve got nothing.
- Look up the placeholder word. Huh? Not even close. What was I thinking?
- Check thesaurus. What the hell?
- Ask my protagonist. He’s left for coffee. Hope he gets two because my brain must be asleep.
Oh happy day! I StumbledUpon a great new website!
If y’all used this like forever, keep your gloating to yourself. Let me enjoy my new toy.
OneLook’s thesaurus / reverse dictionary
This is a cool tool to find the word to match an idea or phrase. Maybe you’ve used the standard search available from the home page, which shows you a list of definition links for any word you type in. However, this is the reverse:
- Has filters.
- Starts with, Number of letters, Related to, Rhymes with, Sounds like, etc.
- A browser link for easy access.
- Instructions click here
- A Wildcard option.
- Go to the FAQ page This is cool.
- Generate a group of words on a subject.
- books, cheese, TV shows, etc…
- Find answers.
- longest river in the US, friend of Big Bird on Sesame Street, etc.
Have you been using this reverse dictionary?
Think you might find this useful in the future?
Talk to me – comments are my all time favorite things.
Please head over and “like” my Facebook page at Facebook at jeanswriting . Or to connect with me, click the “write me” tab. Don’t forget you can follow me on StumbleUpon, on Twitter @jeancogdell , and Amazon.com.
Please stop by and say “hey!” I’ll leave a light on.