Or do you feel as to if the sound of music distracts you from your project?
For me, music is a distraction.
However, I’ve read a lot of articles from many writers about how music can set the tone and mood for their story.
Today one such post caught my eye and I thought maybe, just maybe I’m missing out on an important writing tool.
Read and tell me what you think.
I love music, country music is my favorite, although I’ve been known to listen to all types. From Bach to Jay-Z with lots of Willie Nelson and Jimmy Buffet in the mix. Yeah, my taste run wide. All depends on my mood at the moment, and of course the song.
Oh, one exception might be polka. Meh, not a fan.
So, after reading this post I began to think maybe, you who enjoy writing to music are on to something.
Writing with Music Issues:
- Dance music. Tempted to dance instead of writing. Did I mention I love Country/Western?
- Oldies. Drifting down memory, lane not good for writing a murder mystery. Love the Beatles. See, very eclectic.
- Soundtrack. Now, this has possibilities. Will have to give this idea consideration.
- Folk, Pop. See #1.
- Jazz or Classical. Time for a nice glass of Rose on the back porch. So easy to procrastinate.
- Electronic. Never considered this type of music. But I’m gonna say it is close to Polka on my scale.
- Music in a foreign language. Ooh-la-la. Dim the lights and pour the champagne. No writing tonight.
- Video Game or Movie Soundtracks. Yes! This is a keeper and great links.
- Ambient Noise. Nope. I’ll be drooling on my laptop. Noise machines are what we use for the grandkids to help them sleep.
Somehow I ended up with one more than Dana but you get the idea.
What I want to know is does music help your writing? Or do you find it another avenue for procrastination?
Do you write more, or less, when the room is filled with music?
What is your favorite musical style to write by?
Let me know which works for you. I’m really interested.
You can always stop by my other locations and say “hey!” I’ll leave a light on.
OR CLICK THE “WRITE ME” TAB AND SEND ME AN EMAIL.