Today’s letter in the A-Z Challenge L.
L = LESS
Love Every Single Sentence
or Trash It!
How to write less & say more is not as easy as it sounds.
As I’ve mentioned before, I’m a talker. It’s been said that I can hold a conversation with a wall. I will admit that I’ve rarely met a person with whom I can’t engage in conversation.
However, one of the things I’ve learned is that my conversation skills don’t necessarily carry over on to the written page. See, how I rambled on and on when a few words would’ve worked just fine? Don’t roll your eyes at me. I’m not the only long-winded writer on the internet.
Now back to LESS.
6 things I’ve learned about Less is More.
- I still need to cut more flab in my writing.
- Brevity is my friend and Clarity my sister they keep me grounded.
- Waste words waste the reader’s time.
- Get to the point and quickly.
- Big words will not make me sound smart.
- Lead with active voice and cut passive.
How close to the bone can you cut before your writing falls apart?
Do you need to write less and say more?
Talk to me, the lights on and comments are now open.
Want to know more, click the links below.
Write Less, Say More: The Power of Brevity by Danny Rubin
Embracing Brevity: How to Write Less and Say More by MUSTAFA KHUNDMIRI