Want to turn your little one into a book lover?
Everyone struggles with getting a kid to read. But once you get them hooked, they are hooked for life.
My daughter is a third-grade teacher and she says the students who struggle the most, in all subjects, are the ones who struggle with reading.
Everyone agrees how important it is to get a kid to not only read, but enjoy what they are reading.
Reading is the gateway to success.
Although summer is almost over, it’s not too late to inspire your kiddo.
Here are a few tips to help turn your kid into an avid reader:
- Kids love to imitate, so let them witness you reading.
- Find out what type of books their classmates or playmates enjoy.
- Gear the books you choose with your kid’s interest.
- Read to them every night.
- Introduce early reader chapter books around age 6. Reading a few pages a night will add anticipation for the next night.
- Let your kid know reading is not an option. Do whatever necessary to get your kid to read just 15 minutes a day. (I’m not above a bribe.)
- Get your kid their own library card. (Makes them feel important.) And yes even toddlers.
- Search Amazon for books on things they like to play with or ask your local librarian for suggestions.
- Let them pick out a book, even if it’s not your cup of tea. What they read is not as important as getting them to read. One may prefer funny books such as Diary of a Whimpy Kid, your other kid might prefer mysteries, letting them explore the library or local bookstore empowers them.
- If your kid picks a book you think is too hard for them to read, read it together. You’ll be surprised at how much they will learn.
- Don’t give up! Eventually, reading will click if you don’t quit.
For the gamer in your house try Minecraft Books: Diary of a Minecraft Zombie Book 1: A Scare of a Dare by There are 18 books in the series. That should keep them busy for a while. Or how about Trapped in a Video Game by
Have a little princess in the family? Then you’re very lucky because there are dozens of books to choose from, click here to get started. Books for a Princess.
Budding sports star? How about Goodnight Baseball by
Everyone wants their kid to succeed, so remember…
Do you have a tip for turning a reluctant reader into a bookworm?
How important do you think reading is for a kid?
What age did you start reading to your kids?
For more reading tips, click on the links below.
12 Ways to Motivate Reluctant Readers by Laura Candler