Is there an ideal length for a blog post?
Well, like all opinions, everyone has one on this subject. Some “experts” suggest 2500 words. Listen, I’m no “expert” but I think that is way too long. Just my opinion. I try to keep my posts between 250-500 words. However, I do add links for those who want to dig deeper and read more in-depth on whatever the subject.
If you love to write long meandering posts, have at it. But I’m busy, and like many of you, I receive dozens of emails every day.
Not wanting to miss anything, I try to read them all. Well, maybe not each and every word. I’ll confess, the longer ones I scan for nuggets of information.
This past week I received a wonderful compliment from another writer. She likes that my posts are brief and to the point. Thank you, Marian.
“I like too that your posts are not long and laborious, attractive to busy writers like me. Thank you!” – MarianBeaman
Readers may prefer shorter content but search engines will hit more often on longer content. SEO or not, I believe brevity is important.
Readers need to know what to expect from your blog. Long or short, get to the point.
Here are my tips for writing good, consistent blog posts.
- First, decide your blogging goal.
- More readers? A shorter blog post may be the way to go. 250-600 words.
- Selling a product? Very short blog content. Average under 250 words.
- Desire more comments and conversations on your blog? The ideal blog post length should hit in the middle. 500-600 words.
- Want more shares on Social Media? Again, hit for the middle. Write an informative article somewhere between 500-600 words.
- More Google searches? The best blog post length for SEO should be longer. 1000-2500.
Know your audience and keep your blog goals in sight.
Have time to read more details about ideal blog posts? Then click the links below and read these bloggers/writers have to say.
Okay, question time.
How long are your average posts?
Have you thought about blog post length?
Do you think articles should be longer or shorter?
Do you prefer to read shorter or longer posts?