Do you believe everything you read?
Sometimes it’s hard not to. I mean those wrinkle creams pictures look amazing.
Okay, sometimes maybe I take the internet and especially Facebook posts way too serious. Guess it’s time to consider the source, and do a little homework.
Here’s my take on her list of myths:
- Keyword certainty. Definitely a myth. We all know nothing is certain but death and taxes.
- Posting every day is not difficult. Fact. Yes, I believe it’s hard, especially if you are writing other things, like say a novel.
- Write to beat writer’s block. Can be- fact. I think writing helps some writers beat the blank sheet but it certainly doesn’t work all the time for everyone. See #1
- For the best promotion, pay for it. Myth for sure! I don’t like the pay to promote services, sounds phony.
- Write whatever you want, forget about an audience. Hmm, maybe, maybe not, but if you don’t enjoy what you’re posting I bet dollars to donuts you’ll soon quit. This goes in my fact column.
- Always promote new content. Put this in the myth column. Updating and adding new info to old posts is just smart. Everything changes.
- You can’t know the best time to post. She suggests this is a myth and that you can determine the right time to post. I disagree. I rarely read blogs, emails or Twitter at the same time every day. The world is a busy place.
- Blogging can help your writing. For me, this is a fact. Because I believe, writing of all types encourages creativity.
- You can blog fast. Oh, this is so a myth. If you believe this I’ve got a bridge…
- Blogging is lonely. Sometimes but it doesn’t have to be, I agree this is a myth. I’ve met some lovely people.
- No way you’ll predict which posts will be successful. I think this is not a myth but a fact. Some of my most successful blog posts have been complete surprises.
- Your “about page” should be about you. Well, I’m on the fence about this one. Each blog is as individual as the people who read or write them. I think this is might be the case for certain bloggers. But it’s a personal call. For me a fact.
- Google penalizes duplicate content. Yay! A myth. Glad to hear Google is way too busy to worry about little ole me.
- Google penalizes link swapping. Myth. And I just learned a new term. Gotta check it out. Janice gives a good link for more info.
- Google penalizes link backs to your older posts. Myth, and if you don’t know how to do this Janice has a link.
- Hop from WP.com to a self-hosted site and lose your followers. Whew! Glad to know this is a myth. You may need a little help but it can be done.
- To have a successful blog approach it like another job or chore. This myth made me laugh. I’ve enough chores thank you very much. When it’s no longer fun, quit.
- Churn out post after post and you’re a blogger. Boy oh boy is this ever a myth. There’s a lot more to blogging than that. See #17.
- People don’t read content on the internet. Aren’t we all glad this is a myth? Busy people spend what little time they have using the internet to stay informed and connected.
- Blogging advice is a waste of time. For my take on this myth, see #19. LOL
Now head over and read what
We all want to debunk blogging and writing myths. So tell me…
Which myth gets under your skin?
Know one Janice or I missed?
Let’s talk about it in the comments section.